Board of Director Officers
A volunteer board of directors sets strategic direction for Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas. Board members represent the broad diversity of our council membership and the communities we serve. Members are recommended by a volunteer nominating committee and approved by the council delegates at the annual meeting. A formal democratic process facilitates communication between the board of directors and the council's membership.
The volunteer board of directors is elected by GSSWT's membership to ensure that the council:
- manages its affairs according to state and federal law,
- complies with Girl Scouts of the USA charter requirements, and
- secures and allocates the resources needed to deliver the Girl Scout program throughout our jurisdiction.
Chair, Jackie L. Gorman
Chair Elect, Jan King
1st Vice Chair, Development, Mary Henrich
Treasurer, Jeannie Frazier
Secretary, William T. "Bill" Avila
Chief Executive Officer, Rose González Pérez
Chief Development & Communications Officer, Stephanie A. Finleon
Chief Operating Officer, Jody Shaw Hernandez
|Cece Cheever||Jennifer Moriarty|
|Deena Clausen||Courtney Peña|
|Heather Davis||Linda Ramón|
|Trish DeBerry||Jaren Shaw|
|Leah DeLaGarza||Lisa Uribe, Ph.D.|
|Luis De La Garza||Bob Waller|
|Debra Dunn||Russell Warren|
|Kathleen Krueger||Charles "Marty" Wender|
|Carla Mancha||Charlotte Youngquist|
|Marisa Martinez Palmer|
Ex Officio Girl Board Members
Girl Board Chair, Danielle Gutierrez
Madison A. (Pink GO Team)
Rachel B. (Yellow GO Team)
Yanitza C. (Yellow GO Team)
Emily D. (Pink GO Team)
Emily O. (Orange GO Team)
Hannah R. (Orange GO Team)
Girls Have a Voice on the Board of Directors
In 2003, a proposal was approved to have one teen Girl Scout from each association on the board, rather than just one Senior Girl Scout. This provided a stronger voice for girls to be heard by the board. As ex officio (non-voting) members, the girls attend four board meetings -- held on Saturdays -- providing valuable input on many issues. In 2004, the first six girls were voted on to the board of directors. As we celebrate five years of having girls on the board we wish to thank the girls for their service on the board in 2011-2012:
- Sunrise Association, Lauren B., first-ever Girl Board Chair
- Bluebonnet Association, Danielle G.
- Flight of the Mariposa Association, Alexia P.
- Key to the Hills Association, Madison
- Missions Trail Association, Sara K.
- Star Gazers Association, Augusta F.
- Wild, Wild Northwest Association, Hope P.
Board Development Committee
Board development committee members are elected by GSSWT's membership to recommend candidates for the board of directors and the board development committee. The board development committee presents the following for delegate vote at every annual meeting:
- a single slate of nominees for officers of the council;
- a single slate of nominees for directors; and
- a single slate of nominees for members of the nominating committee.
Every three years, the board development committee also presents a single slate of national delegates and national alternate delegates.
GSSWT accepts potential board member and nominating committee member referrals year-round for a single slate presented at our annual meeting. We place a high priority on recruiting women and men from diverse geographic and racial/ethnic communities.