The Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting, a brand-new girl handbook, will have one book for each grade level -- Daisy through Ambassador. Although described as a book for girls, this book is considered to be a sufficient leader resource as well.
The book has three main sections:
- Girl Scout Traditions
- Cookie Program Activities
- Earned Awards (badges, religious awards, Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Each girl will want her own copy since the Girl’s Guide will contain information such as:
- Girl Scout history
- Girl Scout traditions
- What’s special about being a Girl Scout
- List of emblems and awards (i.e., membership stars, GSUSA strip, council strip, etc.)
- Awards log
- Diagram of sash/vest with badge placement
- Bridging award requirements for relevant program level
- Bronze, Silver, Gold Award requirements for relevant program levels
- Additional program information for each level such as Program Aide or Counselor in Training info
- Journey map for relevant program level
- Map showing all the councils and special Girl Scout places (i.e., the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, World Centers, etc.)
Until this new resource is available, existing resources are still valid and available to use. For more information about the transition in resources, click here. For FAQs about the Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting and the future of badges, GSUSA FAQS and What's Happening with Badges can be downloaded here.
Important Information Regarding the Girl's Guide
The launch of the new Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting from GSUSA has been very successful and has hit the country by storm. These great new resources for girls are flying off the shelves across the country and GSUSA has not been able to keep up with the demand.
The Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting was first previewed at the Service Team Training in August, where GSSWT began taking pre-orders.
GSSWT placed an initial order in April 2011 based on estimated projected sales. However, it was clear that when GSSWT began taking pre-orders, the initial order would not cover the demand.
At this point a second order was placed by GSSWT in August 2011 to meet all of the pre-orders and extra. This second order will arrive mid-November or early December 2011. GSUSA is already working off of a backlog.
As each day passes, more and more girls are getting excited about the guides and more and more pre-orders are received in the Girl Scout Shop. Due to the larger demand, a third order was sent to GSUSA and will arrive hopefully by late December. Again, GSUSA has a backlog so we are unable to get them any sooner. GSUSA is also not filling any individually ordered guides as they are working to fill the orders they already have.
Please NOTE: If you are on GSSWT’s shop pre-order list, do NOT call the shop -- they are calling everyone on the list and you will be contacted. Once contacted, you will need to pick up your order by the shop’s date or they will go back into the inventory.