GSSWT purchased the Mobile Leadership Center in September 2011 through the generous support of donors during the 2007 capital campaign. The Mobile Leadership Center is a custom, specialty vehicle manufactured by Farber and is 38½ feet long, 8½ feet wide (12½ feet with slide outs extended) and 15 feet tall with satellite dish extended.
The Mobile Leadership Center was designed to serve girls and adults throughout the council’s 21 county jurisdiction.
Since the Mobile Leadership Center arrived, it has served girls and adults at a variety of events including a road trip to the Girl Scout National Convention in Houston, fun times at the Buckaroo Breakfast at Alamo Plaza, activity station for the Girl Expo at the Freeman Coliseum, participant in the Labor Day Parade in Uvalde, attendance at Fiesta de los Niño’s at Port San Antonio and countless other recruitment and program events.
The Mobile Leadership Center provides many resources, available to both girl and adult members, including, but not limited to a retail shop (fun accessories and gifts as well as uniforms and components), laminator, die-cut machine, paper cutter, lending library, GSSWT resources (SWAP books… etc.) and includes these amenities: ADA wheelchair lift, interior work stations, interior table with chairs, 24 Dell laptops, 24 inch satellite dish, 27 inch LCD internal screen/monitor, 40 inch LCD external screen/monitor with sound system, VCR/DVD player, external PA sound system and 40 inch plasma SMART screen.
Volunteers wishing to reserve the Mobile Leadership Center must submit a request to their GO Team staff or department staff member. Staff members are then responsible for submitting a special request form to the Volunteer Resource Manager to work directly with the Mobile Leadership Center staff. All requests are considered; however, approval is dependent on already-scheduled travel and availability of staff.
When selecting a Mobile Leadership Center site visit location, the following must be taken into consideration:
- Height and tail swing clearance
- Leveled parking space with sufficient room for slide outs and satellite
- No low hanging trees, telephone wires, etc.
- No dips in the entrance/exits and parking lot
- Restroom facilities available onsite
All girls can participate in the new Mobile Leadership Patch programs specifically focusing on art, STEM, outdoors and healthy living. Cost is $5/girl and includes hands-on activities to earn the corresponding patch. It is recommended that girls are registered in advance of the program by using the Program Event Registration Form.
- Art -- Girls creative side will run free with this program of fun and interactive projects. Girls should be prepared to get a little messy while having fun, and plan to take her masterpiece home!
- STEM -- More and more, each day girls use technology that was invented, dreamed of or started by a scientist! Girls will see science in action, not just in a book, during this exciting program. She'll begin her journey in science with fun experiments using everyday household items!
- Outdoors -- From animals to plants, girls will spend time making new friends while enjoying the outdoors. No experience required, just a love of nature! Girls will learn about animal habitats, play fun games and get WILD.
- Healthy Living -- Girls will realize the best “YOU” they can be and celebrate with other girls what makes them amazing. They'll discover how to build a strong foundation in themselves by being healthy and active. Girls will learn how creating a happy self, inside and out, is the key to a great future.
Volunteers and Travel Partners
Love to travel? Enjoy meeting new people? Want to help others? The Mobile Leadership Center team is looking for volunteers to be travel partners for upcoming travel dates.
The primary responsibility of travel partners is to provide professional, superior customer service to all internal and external customers, members, volunteers, staff and other community contacts. We are looking for people are customer-service friendly, knowledgeable of the Resource Center and Girl Scout Leadership Experience and committed to Girl Scout values.
Training is free! Volunteer application process is required.