Updated July 1, 2020 at 8:00 p.m.
- Due to an exponential rise in the number of COVID-19 cases that has prompted local and state authorities to advise individuals to stay home and to enforce limits on certain businesses, all in-person council, community and troop activities (except Camp Metro summer day camp) remain canceled through July 31, 2020. This includes troop meetings, field trips, community events, etc.
In May, Governor Greg Abbott announced the state’s ongoing plan to “safely and strategically open Texas while minimizing the spread of COVID-19.” Under Phase II, Gov. Abbott granted youth clubs permission to meet assuming minimum standard health protocols are followed and allows youth clubs to “adopt additional protocols consistent with their specific needs and circumstances to help protect the health and safety of all employees, volunteers, contractors, and participants.” It is the council’s responsibility to develop a process that informs our members of the required screening, cleaning, hygiene and physical distancing recommendations to best limit the risk to our girls, member families, volunteers and the council.
On July 1, 2020, GSSWT released a COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols process to ensure the preventive measures recommended by The Governor’s Report to Open Texas and by Girl Scouts of the USA are followed. Note: any current restrictions required by GSSWT supersede all permissions granted through the new COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols process outlined below.
The new process includes three steps:
All troop co-leaders are required to complete the new COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols training and COVID-19 Acknowledgement Form available on demand in gsLearn before a troop or group is permitted to meet in person.
- To access gsLearn via your MyGS account, volunteers must be registered for the 2020-2021 membership year and have a current background check on file. Once logged in to gsLearn follow these step to locate the training:.
- Click on Content Library
- Click on Courses (green oval at the top of the page)
- Select 590 GSSWT COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
- Click Start this course button to begin
NOTE: We recommend using Chrome as your browser. When logging in to gsLearn for the first time, your content library may be blank. Log out. Wait 30 minutes and log back in. If you do not see courses in your Content Library after 30 minutes, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Once all troop co-leaders have completed the training and acknowledgement form, one volunteer per troop must fill out the Troop or Group Request to Meet in Person Form and submit it to GSSWT for approval.
- Please note that completing this form does not grant you permission to begin in-person meetings. Volunteers will receive next steps within five business days of our receipt of your request form.
Once GSSWT has granted your troop or group permission to meet in person, all girls attending your troop meeting(s) must have a caregiver complete the new Troop or Group Permission to Participate Form.
- This form is required at the beginning of each membership year or if the location of your regularly scheduled troop meeting changes mid-year.
- Permission from caregivers for girls to attend any other troop or community activity (ex: field trip, council-sponsored event, overnight activity or trip, etc.) is required by completing the new Activity or Trip Permission to Participate Form for each activity. This form replaces the Troop Permission Slip form.